Faculty and Staff
Nicole D. Berge
|Title:||Undergraduate Program Director and Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Society of Women Engineers Faculty Advisor
|Department:||Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering and Computing
300 Main Street, Room C106
|Resources:||My Research Website|
Dr. Berge's research focuses on improving our understanding of how physical, chemical, and biological processes can be manipulated to promote sustainable waste treatment techniques that lead to carbon sequestration, energy generation, and/or value-added product production. Specific areas of exploration include: the fate of disposed nanomaterials, pharmaceuticals, personal care products and endocrine disrupting compounds in bioreactor landfills; thermochemical conversion of municipal solid waste; increasing the energy yield from waste streams; resource recovery from waste streams; leachate treatment processes; and the development and subsequent evaluation of innovative groundwater remediation technologies.
- Ph.D., University of Central Florida (2006)
- M.S., University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC (2001)
- B.S., University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC (1999)
- Flora, F.R., Lu, X., Li, L., Flora, J.R.V., Berge, N.D. (2013). "The effects of alkalinity and acidity of process water and hydrochar washing on the adsorption of atrazine on hydrothermally produced hydrochar," Chemosphere, in press.
- Kahn, I.A., Berge, N.D., Sabo-Attwood, T., Ferguson, P.L., Saleh, N.B. (2013). "Transport of single-walled carbon nanotubes in conditions representative of municipal solid waste landfills." Environmental Science and Technology, 47(15), 8425-8433.
- Li, L., Diederick, R., Flora, J.R.V., Berge, N.D. (2013). "Hydrothermal carbonization of food waste and associated packaging materials for energy source generation." Waste Management, in press.
- Lu, X., Pellechia, P., Flora, J.R.V., Berge, N.D. (2013). "Influence of reaction time and temperature on product formation and characteristics associated with the hydrothermal carbonization of cellulose."Bioresource Technology 138, 180-190.
- Lozano, P. and Berge, N.D. (2012). "Single walled carbon nanotube behavior in representative mature leachate." Waste Management 32(9), 1699-16711.
- Berge, ND., Ro, K., Mao, J.D., Flora, JRV, Chappell, M., Bae, S. (2011). "Hydrothermal carbonization of municipal waste streams."Environmental Science and Technology, 45(13), 5696-5703.
- Libra, J., Ro, K, Kammann, C., Funke, A., Berge, N.D., Neubauer, Y., Titirici, M., Fuhner, C., Bens, O. and Emmerich, K. (2011). "Hydrothermal carbonization of biomass residuals: a comparative review on the chemistry, processes and applications of wet and dry pyrolysis." Biofuel, 2(1), 71-106.